Saturday, October 30, 2010
Summer on a Rainy Day: Vegitarian Bun
Though its raining outside, I continue to try to bring the sunshine to this kitchen, starting with a summer favorite: bun! Before I became a vegetarian, bun was a favorite meal. Luckily I found this vegan fish sauce and had to try it.
This noodle dish is super easy to make and filled with tons of nutritious veggies. Its great as a light snack or a full meal. I used white rice vermicelli because its what my boyfriend got, but I think I'm going to try it with brown rice vermicelli from now on.
* 1 package vermicelli noodle
* Vegan "fish" sauce (recipe from The Kitchn)
* 1/2 cucumber, julienned
* 2 medium carrots, julienned
* 1 bushel romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
* 1/2 cup bean sprouts
* 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
* 2 tablespoons cilantro (use mint and/or basil if you prefer)
* 6 oz firm tofu (optional)
* 1 tablespoon sesame oil, for frying tofu (optional)
1. Cook vermicelli noodles according to package directions. Drain and run under cold water. Drain again.
Carefully wrap tofu block in paper towels and press lightly to drain water. Cut tofu into roughly 1 inch cubes.
2. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Place tofu cubes in pan and fry lightly on each side until just beginning to brown, then remove from heat.
3. Once noodles have cooled, toss together all ingredients, including fried tofu. Enjoy!