Thursday, May 6, 2010

New Vegan Frappuccino's at Starbucks

When I heard that Starbucks was starting their new DIY frappuccino program, and that it included the possibility of making your frappuccino vegan, I--of course--was very pleased. It's always great to hear that more and more mainstream places are offering vegan and vegetarian fare. This short article by the Observer's restaurant critic describes this new surge in vegetarian fare, particularly in the upper escalón of the industry, as the haute vegetarian revolution.

Anyway, so I went today to go try this DIY frapp for myself. It really was great the amount of choice now (of course, this is at Starbucks, the place that already seems to have way too much choice to begin with). Do note, some of the flavors and bases may not be vegan. For example, the light base is non-vegan, there is milk in it. So be sure to ask the barista beforehand.

It was only after receiving my order that I remembered why it was I hadn't gone to starbucks in about two years.... even if they are offering vegan fare, it still sucks. I got the plain coffee base, but the soy they use is vanilla so it just taste of vanilla... in fact, like a blended vanilla soy milkshake. Needless to say, I was less than impressed. It was packed with sugar, with little substantive taste. Also a bad idea to grab one for a pick-me-up, because it works instead as a downer (headache included) once the sugar wears off... only about 30 minutes after.

I guess I learned my lesson. The frappuccino is what it is, and still not any better because it's vegan. But if the sugary, high-calorie, icy dessert is your thing, then I'm glad you at least have the option of getting it cruelty-free now. More choice, in my opinion, is always better.

No comments:

Post a Comment