Saturday, December 11, 2010

9am Fiesta Cookies: Feel the Churro Love!

Looking for something to spice up your morning? Want to party but don't have the energy? Well, I wouldn't necessarily recommend these cookies for breakfast, but they'll make a great addition to your early afternoon fiestas!

Infused with coffee & walnuts, and rolled in decadent Cinnamon Sugar, these cookies are some of the most airy vegan cookies I've had (not to give myself too much credit, of course). I recommend eating them shortly after baking to keep them from becoming too dense. Recipe loosely adapted from chooseveg.com (awesome site, check it out)!

A good sign: As I was baking them, Toni came into the room, his nose hot on the trial. "It smells like Disneyland". I suppose this could be a bad thing (giant turkey legs? dirty water??), but he meant churros--and boy did these taste like a mini-version of our favorite Mexican treat! Plus, you get to skip the whole deep fried bit & enjoy your dessert knowing its cruelty-free.

Oh, and I just knew I had to post these when I found out I won the DailyMeal & Flour Bakery Contest! Flour Bakery is this renowned Bakery with three locations around Boston, MA (one right by my house); unfortunately, they only have a few vegan items (though at least they clearly label them!) but, since I got their cookbook for free as a prize, I can't wait to try out some of the recipes and veganize some others :D (I will the vegan counterparts to them). Check out my cookies that won!

9am Fiesta Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. apple sauce (I used one with apple cider in it)
  • 2 cornstarch eggs (2 Tbsp. cornstarch + 2 Tbsp. water)
  • Cinnamon, brown sugar, and turbinado sugar, to coat
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375°F and get out a large ungreased cookie sheet.
2. Prepare the coating mixture by adding cinnamon, brown sugar, and turbinado sugar together in a small flat bottom bowl to your likely (I did a ratio of 1:1:2, about 1/2 cup total)
3. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl (up to salt). Add together the wet ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Using your hands form the dough into a big ball. (If it sticks together well, then it's the right consistency. If not, add a bit of water and mix it well.)
5. Form the dough into small cookie-sized balls and roll them into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. 6. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each ball a little bit. Bake for approximately 5 minutes, or until the top is cooked (no longer sticky or wet) but it is still very soft (if in doubt, take them out; they will continue to cook a bit when you take them out. Enjoy!

Peace&Love

PS. Just in case you forgot, here's what the winning cookies (Happy Cow Cakey Peanut Butter Cookies, a mouth full--of cookies that is), looked like:

3 comments:

  1. These are the best cookies I have ever tasted! Thanks for the recipe Natalie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAIT- WHY DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO DISCOVER THIS BLOG?!

    This. Is. All Too Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for winning the baking contest! Your "churros" cookies looks fantastic. The texture looks light and tender, something often difficult to achieve with "veganized" recipes.

    I wonder if I could substitute regular flour for rice flour, to make those treats gluten free...

    I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete